Monday 2 May 2011

Art + Soul – a personal journey into the world of Aboriginal Art – Hetti PERKINS

I feel quite removed from Aboriginal culture and art. My level of understanding is limited which l believe is due to my lack of education, knowledge and my urban location.

I recently watched the documentary Art + Soul from my local library in Footscray. I encourage people to watch this as it gives a really good idea of both contemporary and traditional aboriginal art. It is a three part series which was originally aired on the ABC. Hetti Perkins narrated and produced the series. This documentary really made me question my own identity and position in this country l call home. Aboriginal art is political as it is personal as Hetti Perkins stated.

Emily Kam Ngwarray, Lin Onus, Destiny Deacon, Bindi Cole, Paola Balla, Fiona Foley, William Barak and Albert Namatjira are all aboriginal artists that l enjoy and are familiar with. I did mean to get fortyfivedownstairs gallery to view the winners of the 2011 Victorian Indigenous Art Awards.

I’m now inspired to go and visit the National Gallery of Victoria and revisit the permanent collection of indigenous art. I will be visiting Sydney shortly and will definitely visit the Art Gallery of New South Wales to view Rusty Peters large painting, Jackie Kurltjunyintja Giles “Kaliangku” and  visit the Australian Film and Television Radio School. Naata Nungurrayi “untitled” and Tommy McRea’s early depiction of colonisation are both on my list. When l’m next in Brisbane l would also like to view Gulumbu Yunupingu’s “Garak, the Universe” at Queensland Art Gallery.

As a not quite white Australian, l am definitely more encouraged to engage and understand aboriginal art. Or maybe as Richard Bell painted and  said “Aboriginal Art, it’s a white thing”.

I feel l now have a little better understanding and insight with an historical context. I have a long way to go.

There is an exhibition running at the Art Gallery of NSW until the 13th of June in conjunction with the docmentary.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/art-soul/

1 comment:

  1. This is a very honest and perceptive view... Excellently put.

    ReplyDelete