Thursday 12 May 2011

Richard BLACKWELL – "Grotto" (Volume 3)

I initially saw this exhibition advertised in the Art Almanac with an image of a city building duplicated and falling into some sort of out of space black hole. It captured my eye and faintly reminded me of an MC Escher print.

This is the third instalment of a three-part exhibition viewed at different galleries and countries. I haven’t seen the previous two exhibitions or read about it. l haven’t read any literature or background history of this artist or their previous shows. I try this approach with all artists they l am new to so l have no preconceptions. I may have to review this in the future, particularly to a show like this which is a series.

I enter the gallery and first see a freestanding linear structure almost like a pained vortex with protruding sharp angles. I get distracted by the first three images that l can see through the sculpture. They are lines made from two types of dark and light brown. They are of sharp lines bending and warping vertically from left to right. My first impression is of surveyed land graph. It’s like a map of physical geography. As l get a better look they optically move and vibrate. It could almost be a two dimensional piece. I stand mesmerised for sometime moving forward and backwards to enhance the optical illusion.

I can’t help but be drawn to the images of the buildings metamorphosed into atoms. They are floating aimlessly into a dark atmosphere. There is what looks like fragmented parts gravitating towards the viewer. The images are in black, whites and greys. They are the remains of the 21st century civilisations collapsing onto themselves. Empty vessels with little recognition to an outsider. There is something eerie about this work, which speaks a bleak future to me. I enjoyed the contrast of works on display.

Show is until 14th of May.


No comments:

Post a Comment