Monday 25 April 2011

Lucreccia QUINTANILLA - “All aboard the Echo Chamber”


This is the first solo exhibition after some years for Lucreccia Quintanilla at the Techno Park Studios in Williamstown. An interesting show at an equalling interesting location.

It’s a glorious sunny day and from the glass windows, a flicker of green cellophane catches my eye.  As l enter the ground level building, my first impression is of a seascape or rainforest. It maybe the colour green that is distracting or tricking me. I then hear soft music playing from a concealed location of what seems like a mixed limbo soundtrack.

I’m at first greeted by various sized pictures of collaged green onto black pieces of paper. As the artist tells me, part of the images are photocopied from an original three pages of a found book and altered. She has worked with limited resources and space and this exhibition is the outcome.

I get distracted again by the music and follow it and find it is behind a concealed wall. A broom stick with green cellophane blocks the entrance. I’m greeted by a household limbo pole. I instantly want to try my luck but the space is difficult to enter. The ceiling has sporadically spaced cellophane along with the second gallery.

Have l missed the party. Do l listen longingly to the music wondering if l got my dates mixed up? l did get the impression it was an installation left to give the viewer a feeling of a once occupied event. It left me curious. 

I’m hoping to have an interview with the artist shortly.

Tune in.

http://www.technoparkstudios.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chantal,
    Thanks for coming to my show and for the review!
    I would like to invite you to my new exhibition that is is on in a couple of weeks time....But child accidentally erased all my contacts from my phone.
    I could you email me your details at lucreccia.quintanilla@gmail.com
    Thank you
    L

    ReplyDelete