Sunday 12 June 2011

Lou HUBBARD and Claire LAMBE – “Yakety Sax”


Conceptual Art, so conceptual that l don’t understand it.

Yes, there is a place for it in the visual arts. I’m not going to be the conveyer of what can and cannot be artwork. It took me three laps of the room to understand the concept and then an hour of debriefing to write about my lack of appreciation.

Upon entry l am greeted with a large lump of unfired clay, semi circle of Perspex standing upright in the clay and a set of pink boobs with nipples eyeing me off. I look to my left and there stands two pieces of rectangular Perspex wrapped in plastic leaning against the wall. Between the pieces of Perspex sits a flat basketball which looks to be a cushion cover.  Next to the lump of clay is another installation. It is a cut out of brown paper where circles have been drawn close to its edge. A lamp is lying over it as if it was used to draw the lines. An unused disposal able coffee cup lies on its side and the top of a seat rests there.

There where smaller pieces in the office next door which where subtle and humorous. I didn’t quite grapple with the larger pieces.

These sculptures to me are manmade materials displaying sexual undertones. The materials used are taken out of their usual function and reconceptualized.  Are they the result of conversations between the artists? Is there a method of their exchange of ideas? What comes to mind is the collaboration with artist Brion Gysin and writer William S Burroughs who created the surrealist method of writing called Cut – up.  This involved writing text then cutting it up to recreate a different novel. Is the exchange more important than the result? Is making of the art a form of breaking down the subject rather than the art itself? I’m not looking for aesthetically pleasing work without meaning or a piece of furniture without stability. I can go to IKEA for that.

These two artists are highly accomplished and successful in their field. I want to understand the work and the collaboration involved. Is conceptual art extending beyond it’s subtleties and only for it’s exclusive audience, that being the artists involved? I know art is not made for audiences. Is conceptional art metamorphosis into the Emperors new clothes?

1 comment: